Case Worker - Community Action Isle of Wight
Job Posted: 11 May 2022
- Contract Term: Fixed Term
- Location: Isle of Wight
- Contract Type: Full or part time
- Salary: FTE £25,500
- Industries: Charity / Voluntary Health & Social Care
Community Action Isle of Wight is a dynamic, creative charity that fosters collaboration and cooperation across the voluntary sector and seeks to support organisations and individuals to thrive.
To work effectively in this role you will share our values. We are passionate about helping people to make a difference in their lives, families and neighbourhoods. We work in a flexible way which embraces equality and diversity; we find creative and innovative ways to encourage participation; through working and learning together we build skills and networks that create better communities.
To welcome and support arriving Ukrainian Guests and their Hosts on the Isle of Wight. To undertake initial home visits which will involve applying for benefits, National Insurance numbers and completing GP registrations often working with an interpreter. To help new arrivals understand the UK systems and support them with all aspects of their lives, to help equip them with the skills and knowledge for them to relocate, settle and flourish on the Island. To help Hosts with practical issues, general queries and to be a point of contact for Guests and Hosts.
The post holder is likely to have geographical focus to their work although this may vary over the duration of the project. We are initially looking to recruit case workers for responsibility for the West Wight, East Wight and North/Central Wight. Flexibility to work across all areas of the Island is required as this is a fluid and fast moving project.
We are looking for experienced, passionate person/s with significant community development skills and experience of working with people in vulnerable and challenging circumstances. It would useful if you are familiar in working with people whose first language is not English. The successful candidate/s will be pro-active and autonomous, a good organiser, a great communicator and be able to work at pace.
The primary purposes of this role are to:
· Support families to sign up for and access relevant services e.g. GP, schools, benefits
· Set up new bank accounts, utilities and apply for Identification Documents
· Assist with necessary paperwork to enable service users to access services, including making appropriate applications and claims as required
· Link families into communities through activities, volunteering, leisure centre, support groups, English lessons
· Work proactively with the family and children to support and encourage them to access activities, sports clubs, toddler groups etc.
· Foster English language learning
· Co-ordinate a team of volunteers
· Be on call to receive queries from families
· Administrative duties
This is an evolving project and flexibility is needed.
In accordance with our Child Protection and Safeguarding procedures, this position requires an enhanced DBS check.
1 month probationary period / extendable on performance and funding secured