Apprentice Passenger Boat Crew and Maintenance Operative - Needles Pleasure Cruises
Job Posted: 18 January 2023
- Contract Term: Apprenticeships
- Location: Yarmouth, Isle of Wight
- Contract Type: Full time
- Salary: £4.81 per hour
- Industries: Apprenticeships Engineering
Job Start Date: As soon as possible
Here at The Isle of Wight College we work with a number of employers, in a vast array of industries. A fantastic opportunity has arisen to work for Needles Pleasure Cruises Ltd as an apprentice passenger Boat Crew and Maintenance operative.
Offering Needles Rocks and Lighthouse Boat Trips, this is a unique opportunity to join the team at Needles Pleasure Cruises Ltd whilst working towards a Customer Service Apprenticeship.
The position will be full time and multi role through the year. The summer season (1st April through until 31st October) will predominately be working with the public onboard our passenger boats as crew, or on the beach in Alum Bay advising and assisting customers.
For the winter season you’ll change roles working as a maintenance operative, helping to maintain all the boats & preparing them for the coming season.
The position would suit someone who has a keen interest in working afloat on boats, is comfortable working with the public, and can turn a hand to maintenance routines for the winter period.
- Keen to work afloat on boats
- Good communication skills
- Hand Skills
GCSE grade C/4 or above in English and Maths (or equivalent qualification and/or ability to work towards these Functional Skills)
- Customer Service Level 2 Apprenticeship Standard
- Functional Skills in Maths and English if required
- There is a requirement to complete 20% off the job training, this includes time spent either learning something new, attendance at regular workshops, other courses or any support work that is not in your usual role
- Apprenticeship duration will be around 12- 18 months where the final 3 months will involve gateway for the end point assessment
- Attendance at college as part of the course
- In the summer season any of the 7 days a week
- For the out of season (1st Nov through until 31st March) Monday to Friday
- Averaging 30-40 hours per week, depending on the time of the season
£4.81 per hour
The current National Minimum Wage (NMW) rate for apprentices is £4.81 per hour. This applies to 16-18-year-old apprentices and those aged over 19 in the first year of their Apprenticeship. The Minimum Wage for Apprentices applies to time spent on the job plus time spent training. For more information visit: www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
Once qualified and upon successful apprenticeship completion, there may be an opportunity to progress to a permanent role within the business, dependent on suitability and opportunity at that time.
If this sounds like the next, or indeed first step you want to take with your career, then please apply with your CV and a Covering Letter telling us why you would be the ideal candidate for this brilliant opportunity!